Pages

Wednesday, March 28, 2018

sol 27: simple reminders

Oh yesterday. Yesterday didn't start off in the way I wanted. As with life, sometimes you have things on your mind, or heart before the students walk through your doors, which lessens your patience for them (by no fault of their own.)

So kids came into homeroom, and my patience already thin, put me in a disagreement with a student, about something petty from that began the day before. We were kinda going back and forth, arguing, when a third student made a comment, "Somebody's in a mood."

And I was stopped. Dead in my tracks.

Here I was all upset about something unrelated to my students, yet they were feeling the weight of my frustration.

So right away, I apologized. "You guys are right. My lack of patience has nothing to do with you. I'm sorry." The two girls looked back, and smiled, and we all felt better.

Fast forward another 3 minutes, and I was feeling my patience begin lacking again, as another student didn't have the proper uniform on. I said something, to which he replied, "You're totally making assumptions!"

"You're right," I told him, and as he began to walk away, I reached for his arm, and asked him to come back. "Ok, I"ll listen better. Go ahead, explain it to me."

And he did. And I listened. As he finished, he began to walk away, and then I asked him to stop again.

"You know, thank you for reminding me to listen better, but now, can I have a turn to talk?" He nodded, and I continued on, about uniforms, about being ready for school, about how as a young adult, I'd expect him to be in charge of that. He nodded, and we were done.

Just reminds me of this, that I had read on facebook the night before:
This is a big part of my classroom management, and so it's important for me to apologize when I screw up. I may be older, but I'm human, and it matters to kids that I set my ego aside and just be honest.

My day could've continued in a very anxious, stressed, and frustrated way. But, because I accepted responsibility for my actions with my students, I was able to make it better for all of us. So thankful I was given these reminders the day before.

4 comments:

  1. It's wonderful how we can change our day by taking a step back! I love how you wrote out your thought process, so we can learn from it. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We tell children that they can turn their attitude and day around--but often don't practice that ourselves. We lead by example! You've set a good one, if your class felt open enough to call you on your mood.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being reflective in the moment is a gift. Respecting student must be your default. I really believe that respect gets payed forward.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this post. This is why you are such an incredible teacher. You aren't perfect, but you try your best to give your best to them each day. Those kiddos are lucky to have you.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...