Pages

Friday, March 6, 2015

day 6: energized #sol15

WRITE your story.
SHARE your link.
GIVE some love via comments.


When I taught 8th grade, our year-long theme was You can change the world. (You can read about everything we did for that unit here.) Back then, I didn't really know what *my* cause was. Today, that's a different story.

This year, I took on a new role as Union Representative for my school. By no means is it an easy job, but in some ways, I find it extremely exhilarating. I think I've finally found one way that I can make a difference!

Last night, the executive board of our association had the opportunity to meet all the candidates running for school board. It was so cool to get to be a part of this - to hear from each of them and to think about who would best represent our membership. I love that we have this democratic process going on in our school district, especially since there are other districts (like Chicago) that don't have this opportunity.

It's just awesome that I, little-ole-me, have a voice. I can share my ideas and my passion around with others!

Something I came across last night that just really speaks to me:

"Advocating is not complicated. The hard part is doing it alone. It's much easier to face fire hoses when there are like 5,000 of you and you are singing gospel hymns as you walk into those hoses. It is much easier when you are walking with people.
It's not about making the case for advocacy. It's about making the case for *you* as advocates."
-Dr. Ernest Morrell



So....which of my colleagues are with me? :-) (More details to come!)

1 comment:

  1. You are an amazing union rep and I am so thankful for all you do!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...